Find the Freedom of Information law for your state.
Check your town website for a Freedom of Information form.
I prefer to submit my own letter via email to the town clerk, records access officer or state agency.
Save your requests – either email or letter.
Typically the person receiving the request has five days to acknowledge the request and 20-30 days to fulfill it.
If the documents are not provided you may appeal!
More information for FOI request in New York State may be found here:
New York State Committee on Open Government
New York Coalition for Open Government
Template for Freedom of Information request is below.
Copy, Paste, Edit and Submit to your town and state!
YOUR TOWN STATE ZIP CODE
TWON STATE ZIP CODE
ATTN: Records Access Officer
Transmitted via email: DEPARTMENT EMAIL ADDRESS
Re: PROJECT AND DATES REQUESTED
Dear Records Access Officer;
Please accept this Freedom of Information request for:
Documents: Any and all documentation including, but not limited to: letters emails, phone call records, video call records, recordings of meetings, applications, site plans, renderings, drawings, agreements, documents, and reports for PROJECT NAME located on or about PROJECT STREET, TOWN, COUNTY, STATE and nearest cross streets are NAME OF NEAREST CROSS STREETS Additional search terms may be, but not limited to: NAME OF DEVELOPER, NAME OF PLANNING BOARD, ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION THAT MAY HELP THE SEARCH.
(1) Please email the above records if possible
(2) Please advise me of the appropriate time during normal business hours for inspecting the following records prior to obtaining copies
(3) Please inform me of the cost of providing paper copies of the following records Cost not to exceed $50 without prior approval.
(4) If all the requested records cannot be emailed to me, please inform me by email of the portions that can be emailed and advise me of the cost for reproducing the remainder of the records requested ($0.25 per page or actual cost of reproduction).
(5) If the requested records cannot be emailed to me due to the volume of records identified in response to my request, please advise me of the actual cost of copying all records onto a thumb drive.
(6) If my request is too broad or does not reasonably describe the records, please contact me via email so that I may clarify my request, and when appropriate inform me of the manner in which records are filed, retrieved or generated.
(7) If it is necessary to modify my request please contact me at via email.
(8) If for any reason any portion of my request is denied, please inform me of the reasons for the denial in writing and provide the name, address and email address of the person or body to whom an appeal should be directed.
Thank you for your time and consideration.